>> LFC ONLINE HOME

Go Back   LFC Online > Liverpool Forum > Off Topic
Register Blogs Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic For anything non-football related that may still be of interest.

Closed Thread

Old 24th April 2012, 08:21 PM

Things to do in dat der London

Me & the missus will be in London for a couple of days n nights Sunday & Monday.

Apart from the obvious sights/attractions such as Buck Palace, the Eye, Harrods, Science museum etc'. Could anyone recommend any other hidden (or not so hidden) gems?

Never been to Camden Lock/market, & notice that it's not too far from Regents Park or Primrose Hill. Can London be seen from high on Primrose Hill or is there a better spec for some nice pics?

Not adverse to a bit of culture so 1 or 2 museum/gallery choices please (not aforementioned science...done it twice).

Any eating experiences not to be missed? (we're northerners don't forget, so keep an eye on the price).

We'll be staying in the Tower Bridge area & visiting our son who's living in Bethnal Green, so we'll probably be getting full day passes for the tube.......unless anyone's got any other travel suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Old 24th April 2012, 08:39 PM
Bollards, kerbs, anything

Try not to speak to anyone, and avoid Golders Green.
Old 24th April 2012, 09:01 PM

Well that's a start, ta
Old 24th April 2012, 09:12 PM

Why not take in a show on one of the evenings?

Mrs Brasi and I stayed in a hotel near the tower, on Seething Lane, right in the heart of the original city of London. If you do a bit of walking round there you're well placed for free culture, notably places linked to the 1665 plague and Samuel Pepys, not to mention being a stones throw from the monument where the Great Fire started.

Whitechapel is also nearby so you're in a good position if you fancied one of the Jack the Ripper walks.

Camden is also great. Had the best BLT I've ever tasted there.
Old 24th April 2012, 09:42 PM
B. L. S. W

Camden is full of art-students and failed actors.
Old 24th April 2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWool View Post
Camden is full of art-students and failed actors.
Which one were you?
Old 24th April 2012, 09:47 PM
John R. Cash - Legend

I've always wanted to do the Jack The Ripper walk. Never had the opportunity though.
Old 24th April 2012, 10:03 PM
B. L. S. W

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca brasi View Post
Which one were you?
I was option c, the sneering interloper looking for drugs.

Back to the OP, the south bank's always good, Tate Modern, boat ride, nice.
Old 24th April 2012, 10:15 PM
First Team

I hear the streets are paved with gold
Old 24th April 2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger_ryan22 View Post
I've always wanted to do the Jack The Ripper walk. Never had the opportunity though.
I've always felt you'd lose the aesthetic of it seeing as most of the sights/streets/ buildings are long since gone.
Old 24th April 2012, 10:24 PM
...shows his class...

don't go - over priced %&? hole
Old 24th April 2012, 11:28 PM
Creator Supreme

Tate Modern, as has been suggested, would be a good shout for a museum. It's near London Bridge, so the Shakespeare Globe is just next to the Tate too.
If you are foodies, Borough markets are close by to that area too, though the stalls there are only fully open from Thurs-Sat. Some permanent sites would be open every day though, and if you like wine then Vinopolis is right there too.

Camden is quite a mix of normal & zany, and the markets are quite hit & miss. It will be incredibly busy on a Sunday so aim for the Monday if you plan to be there (unless you like crowds!) Some good restaurants & bars dotted around, I'd single out Gilgamesh (Thai restaurant) as one of the best there. There's plenty of pubs to pick from though, or wine/cocktail bars if you prefer. I like the Edinboro Castle (spelt that way, rather than Edinburgh), for good choice of beers and decent pub grub.

Probably going to be some hidden gems around Bethnal Green too. Maybe your son has a favourite restaurant or pub in the area he'd recommend?
Old 24th April 2012, 11:52 PM
Fuck you, Boston.

This failed writer works in Camden. Recommend the Blues Kitchen if you go there.

Parliament Hill in Hampstead has the better view albeit a bit distant. It's not called that because you can see Parliament (although you can) but because that's where the Parliamentary soldiers amassed at the time of the English Civil War.

Definitely do the boat trip from Embankment to Greenwich. A lot of river history in 45 minutes plus there's a great pie and mash shop in Greenwich.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:12 AM
Nineteen is coming

Go to Borough Market - bit expensive (unless you go towards the end of the day) but amazing choices of food and even just looking at them is exciting enough. Avoid wheatgrass shots mind.

On Monday go to Parliament. It's free to get into and in terms of history, it really is the place to be. Plus, chances are you'll see a few famous faces in and around there.

Go the Tate on Millbank - The Damien Hirst exhibition is fantastic.

You could also go to Gordon's Wine Bar - one of the oldest bars in London and located right next to Embankment Station. It's great and, rain or shine, their investment in outdoor heaters means sitting outside is always a delight.
Old 25th April 2012, 06:57 AM
First Team

Agree with the Prince. Do the boat trip from Westminster to Greenwich. Excellent. Can also recommend the walk from St Pauls across the millennium bridge to te Tate/ globe/ borough market and then walk along to the southbank London eye area.
Closed Thread