>> LFC ONLINE HOME

Go Back   LFC Online > Liverpool Forum > Off Topic
Register Blogs Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic For anything non-football related that may still be of interest.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2010, 10:36 AM
Ali's Brother

I'm Yosser Hughes, Giz a job!

Anyone remember the boys from the blackstuff? In particular Yosser asking for a job all the time. Well it was from before my time but i remember we got shown some of it a few years ago in school, maybe something to do with the effects of the economy or something!?

Anyway, I'm getting to the point now where after getting made redundant back in March I can't find anything at all. When i do, the jobs i see on need experience of the role or relevant qualifications which only just turning 22 I don't have much of.

Baring in mind I am a student (part time 2 days a week) but have finished my current year and have 4 months off so a full time job would be ideal. I got my last part of my student loan back in March which is now mostly gone and i can't recieve any benefits due to my student status. My last job was classed as part time but was actually around 25-30 hours per week hence why I'm feeling the strain a bit more than I've ever been used to.

I'm a quick and willing learner and I've plenty f energy and motivation as well as all the "basic skills" needed, and I have good school and college grades, so it puzzles me as to why nobody has took me on yet!

Its now getting to the stage where I'm applying for anything and everything, but I'm getting turned away at the first hurdle and getting emails and letters saying I'm unsuccessful...

Which leads me to what I was wondering - anyone been made redundant before and found it difficult to get back in to work? Any tips on how to get through it?

P.S. I can do that, gis a job! anyone?
Old 24th May 2010, 10:43 AM
Release the Kraken!

wasn't exactly made redundant, but left my job a few years back due to the company relocating.

Took me 2 months to find another job, had a couple of interviews and didn't get anywhere, think the most important thing is to keep focused and not let the knock backs get to you too much.

Can fully empathise with your situation, it's not nice being out of work, especially in the current jobs market. Are you applying for only things related to your qualifications or looking further afield? may need to re-write your cv and add a few things in, dependant on the role you're looking at.

Good luck.
Old 24th May 2010, 10:49 AM
Ali's Brother

At first ye I was applying for sports related and customer service roles as there what I know and what I am qualified to do. Although now I'm looking for anything and everything just for a bit of income. I even applied to be an exam invigilator earning 6 an hour, thats basically standing there dishing out exam papers and thats it for 2-3 hours, then the same in the afternoon!!

To be honest my CV should be fine, Ive two different copies - one which my Dad used to get a really good job offer from united utilities and some Irish company, which i copied the layout of mine from. And the the other was one we used for a module called work based learning last semester, that one should also be fine as I got a good mark.

If a company relocates then surely there was some kind of severance pay, I hope for your sake there was.

Thanks for the advice mate
Old 24th May 2010, 11:04 AM
Release the Kraken!

Yeah sounds like you've got it nailed on, 2 cv's and decent layout, shouldn't be too long before you get some luck.

Have you registered with any Recruitment Agency's? I dislike them personally, but if you're struggling often they can find work pretty quickly, even if it's not something you're particularly interested in doing. May be worth a thought.

Unfortunatley I didn't get any severence pay as I left before the company moved, I was disillusioned with things long before the announcement was made, so thought it best as soon as it was announced to hand my notice in. I (in theory) could have continued to work there (though it would have been an hour and half commute each way) but chose to leave - in hindsight i'd never advise anyone to leave without having something else lined up.
I found it difficult enough to get a job back when I did it (2005ish) ... in today's market it would be virtually suicidal to do such a thing.

Sure something will turn up soon mate.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:16 PM
pro fuck all brigade

get a job supporting adults with learning disabilities in the community... no experience necessary...

a fantastic way to spend yer time!!!
Old 24th May 2010, 07:32 PM
eek! A mouse!

You look like me...

is that right....

magnum too..

Old 25th May 2010, 12:27 AM
First Team

I remember the scene where Yosser tries to lay bricks on a building site with his kids in tow. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

As for job hunting, it's who you know, not what you know.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:48 AM
player...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonk View Post
I remember the scene where Yosser tries to lay bricks on a building site with his kids in tow. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

As for job hunting, it's who you know, not what you know.
Spot on Tonk, if you don't know them, get to know them. You might be talking to the wrong people. For example, I managed a pub in the height of the boom in temple bar dublin. We had 20 odd students a day walking into the bar and walking up to the barman and handing over a cv and asking them to give it to the manager. I could be sitting right beside them. I spoke to the ones who asked to speak directly to me. I would talk to them for bout 5 mins, and ask them to come back and see me in a week. When they did, i would tell them to call back in a couple of days and give them a shot. Not many had the relevant experience and most cv's lied, but training is easy in a bar.
Old 25th May 2010, 09:48 AM
Thread Killer

Try to put something memorable or eye-catching in your application letter, it should ensure a phone call, if you get that just sell yourself over the phone.
Old 1st June 2010, 01:00 AM
Ali's Brother

Cheers for the advice all.

Quick update on my situation - I have an interview in a shop next week, just as a general sales advisor. Its not what I'm really looking for but its something and its money. Hopefully I can do that for a couple of months and then find somethign that I want to do. Heres hoping I get it!!