Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cheeky summer bids

Cheeky summer bids

I think we can all agree the best value for money signings of the FSG era have been Suarez, Coutinho, Sturridge and maybe Clyne.

What the first three had in common is that they were angling for a move for one reason (like eating people) or another (like limited game time). Identifying quality players at big clubs who just don't seem to be working in their current environment is a brilliant way of bringing in good players. I have nothing agains spunking the cash on quality (like Mané with hindsight or Bobby with foresight) but being clever on the market pays dividends.

That got me thinking - which players seem disgruntled at their current teams and might be open to a move for less than they usually would be? Think these guys might fit the bill:

Agüero - won't come to us, but offering them 40-50m just to see what they say won't hurt.

Mauro Icardi - the Curva Nord despise him, he's a bit of a twat and comes from Argentina, what could possibly go wrong? He's 23, already captaining Inter, scores quite a few goals, but his wife seems to like life in Milano.

Alvaro Morata - little game time for a very good player. Think we should test the waters with a serious bid of around 30m just to see what they say. Doubt the'd come to us as he'd have quite a few clubs to choose from, but worth a punt.

Anyone from Leicester - although not quite sure who has the necessary quality - maybe Mahrez?

Sanchez - he didn't come to us after Suarez left, so he probably won't do so now, but a 40m + 1 pound bid would be worth it just for the troll factor.

Fabian Delph - NOW HEAR ME OUT BEFORE YOU GET THE PITCHFORKS! Should want to move and should be nice and cheap. Has PL experience, is English and... well I don't have a third thing but if we need bodies, he'd be a decent one.

Ricardo Rodríguez - Wolfsburg's left back. Has always looked class when I've seen him, still only 24 and might be open to a move, seeing as how they're 14th in Germany.

Dahoud - they're not doing great and heard somewhere he's having a shite season.

James Rodriguez - AGAIN, HEAR ME OUT! He doesn't seem to be getting the game time he wants, is still only 25, brilliant player and will be open to a move to the PL. Now much like Agüero, he probably won't come to us, but with Klopp in charge it's so crazy it just might work!

Lacazette - err... this one is marginally more likely - he's having a shite season - only 20 goals in 20 games but they are fifth in France, so some cold hard cash will definitely tempt him. He's lost some credibility with his poor performances last season after he was supposed to be the next Henry a year before that. Should be worth a punt.

So, any more bargains we should be looking at? These aren't terribly well thought out, but they should hopefully give you an idea of what type of player I think it would be shrewd to go after.

Any others you might put forward? Any ones you strongly disagree with here?
    Last edited by Balinkay; 14th February 2017 at 08:29 AM.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Nice post, Bali, but I disagree with most of them apart from Rodgriguez (just because we need a LB), and the unrealistics Sanchez/ Aguero. None of the others you mention will fix the holes we have in our squad.

We need:

- a winger with mad pace, and goals
    - another striker
    - a CDM "beast"
    - a LB
    - a CB "beast"
    - probably a GK

I would suggest players, but I'm not a scout, so I don't know who's out there, really. From the players I've seen in the PL/CL this season, I'd suggest VVD, Michael Keane, Dembelé (Celtic), Tom Heaton or Ben Foster. On the cheap, someone like Demerai Gray might be worth a punt, but we need to spend big this summer, or FSG are not doing their job.

For me the summer is all about adding the strength in depth so that if teams park the bus, or if a couple of players have an off 45 mins, we can go to the bench for really strong options who fit the system.

Klopp won't go and buy world famous superstar players. He always wants players who come for the honour and the hunger, not just the high wages and night-life!

Karim Bellarabi - Bayer Leverkusen
    German/Moroccan forward who can play anywhere across the front line and has a good mix of skill, creativity, key passes, interceptions, winning the ball back and dribbling. He's very much the perfect understudy to the likes of Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana. Known for his pressing and winning the ball back, surely an ideal and cheap option. Doesn't score too often but has all the 'Klopp' attributes, particularly work rate. Can open up defences with his vision.

Demari Grey - Leicester City
    Another winger option, cover for Mané and Coutinho. 20yrs old. Pace, skill and confidence. His age makes him a perfect bench player for us but his ability makes me think he could play a run of games and we'd have a really exciting threat. Can open up defences with his pace.

Ben Chilwell - Leicester City
    This lad really does look class. He's a young James Milner and a composed Alberto Moreno - the ideal next Lef Back for us. Milner's engine has got to be feeling the strain soon - he's been playing competitively since he was 16. Moreno, for all his pace, clearly doesn't have the composure we need and may have to go, also.

Virgil Van Dijk - Southampton
    It wouldn't be a proper Summer transfer window without buying a Southampton player, but I do think we need this guy as it gives us possibly the best back 3 in the league (Matip, Van Dijk, Lovren) if we need to change formation, and it gives us great competition in that position. Lucas is likely to leave and Gomez doesn't yet look ready.

Possibles:

Inaki Williams - Athletic Bilbao - Similar to Origi but much more suited than Sturridge.

Joe Hart - Man City or Kasper Schmeichel - If we ARE looking at a new keeper (which I have reservations about) then either of these will at least add some sort of vocal, self-confident and sometimes match-winning keepers, but like what we already have, there are errors in their games, so for the cost I don't think Klopp will think it's worth the change.
     Denk Anders

This thread brought me out of my hiatus - mainly because it's positive. I'm crawling back under my rock now and putting the tin-foil hat back on.
     Denk Anders

Quote Originally Posted by TorbenPiechnik View Post
    None of the others you mention will fix the holes we have in our squad.

We need:

- a winger with mad pace, and goals
    - another striker
    - a CDM "beast"
    - a LB
    - a CB "beast"
    - probably a GK
    So we need a striker and/or winger but Icardi, Morata and Mahrez wouldn't address that? I'll be honest, I'm kind of confused. CM/DM could be Delph of Dahoud.

@Lev - I like Gray and Williams as shouts.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Quote Originally Posted by Balinkay View Post
    So we need a striker and/or winger but Icardi, Morata and Mahrez wouldn't address that? I'll be honest, I'm kind of confused. CM/DM could be Delph of Dahoud.

@Lev - I like Gray and Williams as shouts.
    As you mentioned in your first post Icardi seems a bit of a twat and I don't think that klopp would put up with someone like that. Mahrez doesn't seem the type to work his arse off for the team so again probably not a klopp player. Morata would be good as he could provide a focal point but he'll end up going for huge money. Dahouds name keeps coming up and seems highly rated but I'd like to see a proper dm brought in to plug our porous midfield. I can't provide any names though as I don't watch much football outside of England. Shame Gueye went to Everton....

Oh, yeah, if Klopp doesn't think they'll fit in, by all means he shouldn't buy them.

Just believe he's rather good at getting people to go through walls for him, so might fancy himself able to do so with some of these twats.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

The big money buys where we are looking for the finished article need to be in positions where our need is greatest. LB (watched Chilwell and nowhere near ready), CB and DM. Keeper, I would keep Migs and bring in Jordan Pickford, who I believe is already better than our current number 1.
    For attacking flair, the likes of Gray at Leicester are ideal to bring in at 20 and nurture, same with Dembele at Celtic though his price may be artificially hiked due to his goal scoring exploits in the Scottish Sunday League.

sanchez at Arsenal is on his last 2 years.. he will only have a year at left at the end of the season.. We should look into him. I know we tried before he went to arsenal..
    I;ve always rated Sigurdsson at Swansea.. he didn't make it at Spurs.but I think he as matured more now. Not a starter in the 11. but would get you goals from an attacking midfield role.
    Obviously we need a top quality holding midfielder another centre-back . a left back and keeper.
    Leader of all..master of none..

Gray at Leicester is really over rated I think. just happens to be a bit flavour of the month. But if you really watch him, his decision making is poor. His game understanding is poor, likes to dribble too much, shoots when he should pass etc.
    Sorry but that is my opinion.