Thread: Beat the bus practice in lengthy lay off

Beat the bus practice in lengthy lay off

It's absolutely essential to the remainder of our season that we use all the extra time we now have between games to be far better equipped to beat the park the bus teams

Some of it is basic tactics like not going gung ho over committing leaving ourselves wide open on the counter and our full back and midfielder not involved in our attack picking up the opposition outlets for the counter and identifying thrm early AND not continuing to go gung ho and leaving ourselves wide open on the counter when we have the lead!

I still believe the right type of crosses are key and one of Can or Wijnaldum playing centre of the midfield 3 in these type of games with Henderson right to allow him to drive forward and be in the right position to get the right type of crosses in as he's our best at them.

Coutinho & Lallana in tandem on the left or our front 3 & inside left interchanging between the positions with each other with Milner staying back more and picking up one of the outlets for the counter as his lack of pace and lack of a left foot have slowed our attacks down way too much and made them too predictable to the extent teams have been allowing Milner to have the ball in acres of space on our left and have compressed the space more intensely on our more dangerous and pacey right side.

Clyne needs to damn well practice his crossing which is woeful and making runs to take the opposition full back away and I feel we need to use ManÍ as the furthest forward player at all times and at times employ him predominantly on our right to take on their LB & look to burst between the channel between their LB & LCB

We need more runs as well to try and move their lines and open channels for through balls, too often v the bus there's been a lack of movement and you've been clearly able to see our front 3 standing static all in a line just in front of the opposition back four looking for a ball to feet, thry need to move, one go short or wide & the others make their runs off that, try things, standing like statues in a line of 3 isn't going to open them up, movement might open up a ball through the channel to another, a little scooped ball chipped over their line for a runner, infinite possibilities but we have to work at all of it AND set pieces because against the bus we've come up short tactically, defensively & creatively far too often and bar our games v Arsenal, City & The Bitters all our other remaining games are going to be against park the bus sides
    "My biggest mentor is myself because Iíve had to study, so thatís been my biggest influence.Ē

Lets give the teams that beat us some credit here.

The only teams that actually parked the bus and didn't want to score were United and Sunderland at home. We drew with united and patiently beat Sunderland.

Think we're throwing the term "parked the bus" far too often.

Letting us have all the possession whilst we pack there half with all our players isn't parking the bus, its negligent on our part. Especially with us knowing how weak our defensive is and how easily we leak goals. The Hull, Swansea and Wolves teams had a plan and it wasn't to park the bus.

Had we drawn those games 0-0 then it would be a different story, but yet again, our defensive frailties let us down, including howlers by keepers that led to those 3 defeats against the aforementioned teams. Those teams didn't want to lose, and would've happily settled for a draw, but they gave it a good bash and identified our weaknesses.

How do other teams deal with "bus parkers"? Hoofing the ball up to a target man? Diving relentlessly to get a penalty or a free kick? (Not that I'd resort to those tactics) All considered as plan B's, something Klopp has admitted we don't have.

So I'd change the title to "Working on a plan B"

At present, I don't believe there is too much we can do against this tactic consistently. That last word is the key because surely someones going to say 'but we scored for fun earlier in the season'.

This is where the top teams have 1 or 2 players who are 'above' the rest, or at least, unplayable when in form.
    Costa, Aguero, Ibra, Sanchez. All of them do it in different ways: taking the one half chance, being strong and holding off the defender, skill on the ball, tenacity above teammates, whatever.

Having a player like this means you don't have to commit as many forward to score and be exposed, as well as the teams confidence that they WILL score. Think about how many tight games we won just because of Suarez and pre-injury Torres.

Mane currently is very close, but his best trait isn't that useful against this tactic.

Sturridge used to sort of do that for us when fit. One of the main reasons earlier in the season I still though he could turn the slump around.
    Etiamsi omnes, ego non

You are again thinking of 'that one time with Luis Suarez'

If thats his 'slump', then its lasted his entire career. He has never scored more than 13 goals in ALL comps, ever.
    Most seasons he scored around 5 goals. Cue but he was injured etc.

Seriously his much hyped 'natural' goal scorer thing is surely from peoples dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    Lets give the teams that beat us some credit here.

The only teams that actually parked the bus and didn't want to score were United and Sunderland at home. We drew with united and patiently beat Sunderland.

Think we're throwing the term "parked the bus" far too often.

Letting us have all the possession whilst we pack there half with all our players isn't parking the bus, its negligent on our part. Especially with us knowing how weak our defensive is and how easily we leak goals. The Hull, Swansea and Wolves teams had a plan and it wasn't to park the bus.

Had we drawn those games 0-0 then it would be a different story, but yet again, our defensive frailties let us down, including howlers by keepers that led to those 3 defeats against the aforementioned teams. Those teams didn't want to lose, and would've happily settled for a draw, but they gave it a good bash and identified our weaknesses.

How do other teams deal with "bus parkers"? Hoofing the ball up to a target man? Diving relentlessly to get a penalty or a free kick? (Not that I'd resort to those tactics) All considered as plan B's, something Klopp has admitted we don't have.

So I'd change the title to "Working on a plan B"
    Correct.
    naive, predictable tactics lost us those games. they knew exactly what to do to beat us and implemented it perfectly. i was surprised by spurs tactics on sat. fully expected them to sit deep, soak up our pressure and work their way into the game but they played right into our hands early on.
    disagree with this 'plan B' tactics though. if we had a defence that was organised and knew how to work as some kind of cohesive unit we'd be miles better off points wise.

I agree with TheDoc. If you win the ball from the opposition, and give the opponents roughly 7 seconds, they will always have all their men back behind the ball in a solid predefined structure. Even top teams like us do that! As a coach you expect your players to fall back as a minimum whenever you don't have the ball.

How do we beat this? Hit them quick before they regroup and make sure we stifle their out ball whenever we lose possession. And keep going at them. I believe this is what we did earlier on in the season.

I feel like we haven't quite worked out yet how to score once the opponents are back in their defined defensive roles. We are too ponderous with the ball. The defenders don't panick because we don't give them cause to.
    Klopp needs to find a way to make the defending team uncomfortable even when they're all back in their half. Do we need better players than we currently have? Perhaps.

I've suggested elsewhere we should possibly tweak our formation somewhat V the busses. To deal with long balls and shore up some of the larger spaces at the back, freeing up our forward five to attack on a more solid defensive base.

Karius
    Clyne Matip Lovren
    Lallana Hendo Wiji Coutinho/Milner
    Mane Firmino Origi/Coutinho

Though there are formation tweaks, strings to add to the attacking bow to consider, having seen Barca last night being mentally focused and up for the intensity of the fight can't go unmentioned.